Purple Twig- Art Exploration for kids. A mom run small business in Los Angeles. Stop by to see the trials and tribulations.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Where's My Computer?

My car was broken into about a month ago while I was in Yoga. The perpetrator stole my computer. MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!  As far as I was concerned at the time they stole my entire business. After I washed off the feeling of being violated and went out the same day to buy a new computer, I was just so disappointed with all the work that needed to be done to recoup the lost information, syllabi, photos. Do I back up you ask..........I do now.  I, of course, back up my quickbooks but I hadn't backed up in about 6 months. 6 MONTHS!!!!
The timing of the robbery was also pretty bad. My accountant was already knocking at my door for the tax information. I spent every night for almost a month updating my books, after putting my children to bed, going through bank accounts, going through all the credit card charges, trying to find all the check written. It has been so much more confusing and difficult than I expected.



As I was trying to figure out why the bank account isn't matching up with what the books, I thought "I am getting myself a bookkeeper". I called a friend of mine who is a bookkeeper and found out that I can't quite afford one yet. I taught myself how to work Quickbooks and I am sure that there is a more efficient way to do it with a little tweaking. In talking to other business owners in my neighborhood I realized that knowing my books is a part of knowing what's happening in my business. I know how it's growing and how fast. I know how much is coming in and how much is going out.

Instead of getting a book keeper I decided to ask my accountant if I can get a little tutoring which he was happy to offer, especially because it makes his job easier when my books are more efficient.

2 comments:

  1. Losing everything in just a snap is the hardest part of being robbed. Good thing you have a good person such as an accountant that's willing to help you out in your situation. It's in your advantage learning all your books because you'll have a better understanding about your finances. Plus, he helps you maintain a well-organized books. --> Allison @ BestDenverCPA.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Allison for the supportive words.

    ReplyDelete