Purple Twig- Art Exploration for kids. A mom run small business in Los Angeles. Stop by to see the trials and tribulations.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Bubble Wrap Prints



This sensory project is one of my favorites. It's just so layered. If you have ever taken a class with me then you know there are a lot steps to our art making at the Purple Twig. Especially when we are working with ages 2-5. The kids know to ponder "What is the next material" When finished exploring the one they are working with.  This is a color exploring project that results in these gorgeous prints.


These are the materials I used for these mono prints. 

Drawing Paper
yellow, pink or red, and blue tempera paints
small squeeze bottles ( I put the paint in the squeeze bottles or get the IKEA ones)
brayers ( if you don't have brayers then the hands do just fine)
bubble wrap




Oh the joy of just squeezing the paint onto the table covered with bubble wrap ( yes I just taped it down, covering the entire table). The texture of the bubble wrap alone was an enjoyable sensory experience, running their hands on it, popping the little bubbles. Oh so satisfying. First I gave them blue tempera paint to roll around and then yellow to mix with it.  We then made a print with the green paint. The mixing of the colors themselves allows for the blues and yellows to still appear while the main color is green.


We then moved to a clean area on the bubble wrap and started mixing orange. Printing it on the same paper to give the print those gorgeous layers. Luckily tempera paints dry rather quickly so rather than a brown mess of a print, each color remains separate. 






Look at the layers of different colors in this print, oranges, greens, pinks, red, purples oh my. 


When they were finished with their color exploring I brought out the good stuff, shaving cream!!! They rolled it or moved it around with their hands, popping bubble wrap if they pressed really hard. We bring out the shaving cream a lot on the table but putting it on the bubble wrap was a new experience for them. The sensory play went on and on. It was a good day.






2 comments:

  1. What an amazing sensory experience for the children. I'll be doing this next week as the children love painting with their hands at the easel. They actually collaborate at the easel. Sometimes up to 4 children working on the same artwork. The addition of shaving cream is something I would not have thought of. So thank you. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you responded to this project. I'm curious how it went with the kids. I love the image of 4 kids collaborating at an easel all painting together. Do you teach art to kids? If you are on instagram send me an image. I would love to see.

      Delete